Pages

Sunday, October 27, 2013

Manga Quest: Alice in the Country of Hearts

This is a repost from my Wordpress blog.
Picture 7

My husband bought me the omnibus 1 of Alice in the Country of Hearts (Heart no Kuni no Alice) for my birthday this past year. I read it super fast, and found it super interesting and a totally different take of Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland. The series centers on Alice getting kidnapped down the rabbit hole into a civil war ravaged Wonderland, where all the slightly mad denizens want to seduce her...or kill her. Even though this shojo manga is filled with handsome fellows, the story has a dark and surreal edge, and its sinister secrets make it a compelling mystery/fantasy series. Not only have I enjoyed the story so far (I've only read 1 out of 3 omnibus editions), I really enjoyed the artwork with the gorgeous lolita-esque dresses. I own the second omnibus, but haven't had a chance to read it. I just saw the third one is out, and the series is finally finished in English. I can't wait to get my hands on it!

 Picture 8

 This photo is from YenPress, who are the ones who translate/make the omnibus editions.

 Have you read Alice in the Country of Hearts, or played the video game this manga is based on? If so, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment